I was checking out my twitter feed today and I saw a tweet from Eat This Not That (great books and website!!) and in 140 characters they gave a recipe for the perfect homemade pizza. Those three words automatically made me want to have homemade pizza for dinner! When I was in college my roommate and I would make pizza all the time, it was easy, cheap and delicious! Anything is better than the processed pizzas from the freezer section or the greasy pies you get from your local pizza shop! The only time I felt like I wasn’t eating a piece of pizza filled with grease and fattening toppings was when I was in Italy and had homemade pizza (practically every day) with fresh ingredients and unprocessed cheese on top! But here in the states we rarely see pizza shops with those kinds of attributes and it makes me want to fly 9 hours to Rome to get the best slice of pizza I’ve ever had in my life! Sadly that will not be happening any time in the near future so the next best thing I can think of is to make some pizza myself for dinner tonight! I found a bunch of recipes with some unusual and regular toppings on them that will definitely be perfect on any pie!!
When I’m feeling motivated I’ll buy one of those packages that you add water to and it makes dough or I’ll get frozen dough. When I’m being lazy or my packet of dough fails (I can never get it just right!) I’ll buy a precooked dough in the pasta/pizza aisle. Now you might have your own secret pizza dough recipe (and I encourage you to share :) ) and that’s great! Next is the sauce, sometimes I don’t use the canned pizza sauce but instead use spaghetti sauce! If you get a kind that has more vegetables in it really brings a lot of flavor to your pizza! But let’s look at the best part of pizza… the toppings!! What are you favorite toppings?
My Favorite Toppings (Never all on one pizza!)
- Mushrooms (I won’t lie I prefer canned mushrooms!)
- Spinach (frozen works well but fresh of course is preferred!)
- Feta Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken
Now enough about what I like! Here are some recipes I found that you can try and make tonight!
Chicken Gorgonzola Pizza w/ Caramelized Onions
- Pizza Sauce
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 chicken half-breast (about 6 ounces), cut lengthwise into strips
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 12-inch store bought crust
1. For the sauce, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan; add red onion and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes. Add remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
2. In a skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion slices, cover, and cook 3–4 minutes. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are dark brown. Remove from pan.
3. Using the same skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat and add chicken. When chicken begins to turn white, sprinkle with basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat.
4. Preheat oven to 400º. Roll pizza dough into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Coat a round pizza pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to pan.
5. Spread 1/2–3/4 cup sauce over crust, leaving 1/2 inch of crust showing around the edge. Spread caramelized onions and mushrooms evenly over sauce. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, then top with cooked chicken. Bake another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
Turkey Alfredo Pizza
- 1 cup shredded cooked turkey breast (left over Thanksgiving turkey maybe? Well in a couple weeks!)
- 1 cup frozen chopped collard greens or spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 (1-pound) Italian cheese-flavored thin pizza crust (such as Boboli)
- 1/2 cup light Alfredo sauce (such as Contadina)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients; toss well. Rub cut sides of garlic over crust; discard garlic.
- Spread Alfredo sauce evenly over crust; top with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and red pepper.
- Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until crust is crisp. Cut into 6 wedges.
Pizza Del Sol
- basic pizza dough
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, washed and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound feta cheese
- 6 artichoke hearts (in brine), drained and quartered
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata (Greek) olives or ripe California olives
- Preheat oven to 475deg.F. Coarsely chop spinach and steam 3 to 5 minutes until wilted. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough into desired size and place on a pizza screen or baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Turn outer edge under 1/2 inch to form a rim. Brush crust with olive oil.
- Cover pizza with spinach and top with feta cheese, artichokes and olives. Bake until cheese melts and crust turns golden brown, about 8 minutes.
Malaysian Chicken Pizza
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese (such as Alpine Lace)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (12-inch) Basic Pizza Crust
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chicken, and sauté 2 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.
- Pour rice vinegar mixture into pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook mixture 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return chicken to pan; cook 1 minute or until chicken is done. (Mixture will be consistency of thick syrup.)
- Sprinkle cheeses over prepared crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border, and top with chicken mixture. Bake at 500° for 12 minutes on bottom rack in oven. Sprinkle with green onions. Place pizza on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes.
So all of those recipes sound really good right?! Hopefully you will try these out and find some new favorite toppings to your pizza! Remember to keep some of these pizzas healthy stick with fresh ingredients, make your own sauce, use low fat meats, low sodium, and don’t load on to much cheese!!